Paris Saint Germain defender Dani Alves is reportedly eyeing a move to reunite with his former boss Pep Guardiola.
The 35-year-old’s current deal with the Parisians expire at the end of the ongoing season and a chance for extension is not looking likely.
He joined PSG on a free transfer in the summer of 2017 from Juventus and became an instant hit for the Ligue 1 champions.
He was however ruled out of Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup after suffering a knee ligament injury during his side’s 2-0 triumph over Les Herbiers on Tuesday, May 8 in the French Cup final.
SunSport reports that the right back claims he was not ready to return to his country and will consider a move to play in the Premier League.
The publication further revealed that the 35-year-old was said to hold talks with Flamengo at the beginning of the year, but changed his mind at the long run.
Meanwhile, the former Barcelona star reportedly “dreams” of playing for Guardiola at the Etihad – seven years after they last worked together at Nou Camp.
Alves won three La Liga titles under the Spanish coach and also triumphed in the Champions League twice before Guardiola left Nou Camp in 2012.
Alves stayed in Barcelona for four more seasons, before claiming the Serie A trophy with Juventus and the Ligue 1 crown with his current club PSG a year later.
He has won 38 trophies in his illustrious 17-year career, but has made it known before he does not want to hang up his boots without tasting Premier League football.
According to the Sun, Alves admitted that he rejected City’s approach ahead of his PSG switch in 2017.
He told the Telegraph last year: “Turning him down was painful. In football terms he was one of the most amazing people I have known, completely obsessed with his work, but how he treated people was special, especially me.”
But Alves added: “The idea that I might finish my career without going to the Premier League, it is not possible .”
A failure to win the Champions League after signing Cristiano Ronaldo appears to have cost the coach his job
Juventus have announced that head coach Massimiliano Allegri will leave the club at the end of the 2018-19 season.
The Italian boss’ future has been in question since being dumped out of the Champions League at the hands of Ajax, with the Italian champions having been firmly among the favourites to lift the crown.
Indeed, two finals have been reached during Allegri’s five-year spell at the club and the arrival or Cristiano Ronaldo in the summer was seen as the final piece of the puzzle required for the Old Lady to go all the way.
Having failed to do so, the Bianconeri and the 51-year-old are set to part ways in the summer. A statement on the club’s website reads:
“Massimiliano Allegri will not sit on the Juventus bench in the 2019-2020 season.
“The coach and the president, Andrea Agnelli, will meet the media together at a press conference, which will be held tomorrow, Saturday 18 May, at 2pm (CET) in the conference hall of the Allianz Stadium.”
No statements have been made by either party as to where Allegri – who has won five Scudetti, four Coppa Italia trophies and two Supercoppa Italiana titles during his time in Turin – will end up next season.
Chelsea could be an option for the Italian, with Maurizio Sarri’s future up in the air following an inconsistent season, while Bayern Munich could also be interested as they look set to part ways with Niko Kovac in the summer.
As for who will take over from Allegri, Antonio Conte’s recent admission that there is a 60 per cent chance he would return to coach in the Italian top flight next term could put him in the frame, though the former Italy boss has also been linked with Roma and Inter.
Jose Mourinho is also out of work since being released by Manchester United last year, and the Portuguese trainer has said that he will only return to coaching if the right club with the right ambitions becomes available.
In a recent interview with L’Equipe, Mourinho was asked about the possibility of taking over at Paris Saint-Germain after stating that he knew the reasons behind their European exit at the hands of United, but would not comment due to Thomas Tuchel already being at the club.
Still, the Portuguese’s close relationship with sporting director Antero Henrique and excellent track record in the Champions League continues to see rumours of a move to the Parc des Princes dugout swirl.